Interest rates have never been lower and many prospective home-buyers are taking advantage. When searching for your new home, please keep in mind the importance of having a good home inspection done. A home you think that looks good inside and out may be hiding some nasty surprises. Here are a few things to think about when getting your home inspected.
- Always have a structural inspection done
- Have a sewer inspection done. It may be a big expense, but sewer and drainage problems happen more often than you think.
- Have the wiring inspected. Is the wiring set-up for 100 amp or 200 amp? Most modern appliances need at least 200 amp wiring.
- Have a pest inspection done.
- Make sure all the appliances are in working order
- Check the basement to see if it has flooded. If it has a finished basement, pull up a corner of the carpet to check for mold and mildew.
- Check around the bathroom fixtures for mold and mildew
- Have a HVAC professional check the furnace, AC unit and hot water tank.
Buying a home is an exciting time. Make sure your new dream home does not become your nightmare.