A home inventory is a list of all your possessions in your home. It is important to create one because if you were to have a loss, you will be able give the insurance company an inventory of your belongings. A home inventory will help your insurance claim get settled faster, verify losses for your income tax return and help you purchase the correct amount of insurance for your home.
Here are a few tips on how to create one:
- To get started, pick an easy spot like a kitchen cabinet with small appliances
- Make a list of recent purchases
- Include basic information with details such as the make and model of your items and where your purchased them.
- Record Serial numbers
- Keep proof of value for your items such as receipts, purchase contracts and appraisals
- Keep a copy of your inventory outside the home like a safety deposit box for or backed up online with a cloud storage provider.
- Use technology to your advantage, take pictures and record videos of your belongings. Also there are several apps for your phone or tablet that can help your create a home inventory
I hope these tips have helped. If you would like to know more about creating a home inventory or would like to know more about home insurance, give us a call at 304-292-9645.